The Rotary Club of Oak Bay has been meeting and helping communities around the world since 1974. The club first met Monday, May 13, 1974 at the Uplands Golf Course. Three weeks later they moved to the Oak Bay Beach Hotel which is our current location. And on July 24, 1974 the club learned that Rotary International had officially recognized the club. October 19 of the same year was the Charter Night meeting with 22 charter members attending.
There have been quite a few changes since then. The cost of lunch back in 1974 was $3. And the cost of the club's first project, to build four picnic tables for Uplands Park at Cattle Point, had a cost of $300.
Two years later, in January 1975, the Club welcomed its first exchange student, Kathy Igoe from Australia. She's still living in Victoria!
Since then, we've sponsored many students and taken on many projects. Some of those projects include:
- Funding a 12-passenger van for the Oak Bay Police Department with the purpose of transporting youth to various school and sporting events.
- Erecting a sign informing the public of the historical importance of the John Tod House on Heron Street.
- Creating a play-learning centre at the George Pearkes Centre.
- Purchasing a van for a local geriatric centre.
- Donating money to the Gerontology Association.
- Purchasing a wheelchair for the Juan de Fuca Hospital.
- Providing educational bursaries to Oak Bay seniors.
- Donating to Operation Eyesight, the Salvation Army, and R.I.'s Polio Plus Campaign.
- Providing funds to improve the lookout at King George Terrace.
- Providing labour to help build the Peter Pan Water Park Project at Carnarvon Park.
- Raising money to combat polio.
- And much more.
You can join with us to help improve Victoria and the world. The first step is attending a meeting. We generally meet Tuesdays for lunch at the Oak Bay Beach Hotel at noon. We do, however, sometimes meet at an alternate location so do check out our schedule.
We'll see you there!
Come to a meeting!
Join us on Tuesday for our lunch time meeting.
Your first meeting is on us!
Noon to 1:30 PM
Oak Bay Beach Hotel
1175 Beach Drive