Rotary Club of Oak Bay
Bulletin, 27 November, 2018
By Karen Graham
President Peter opened the meeting and, on behalf of all our members, welcomed Tom Croft back.
Peter also commented on the fun had by all who participated in Guess Who’s coming for Dinner.
After the singing of the National Anthem and the Invocation those present enjoyed another wonderful buffet.
Jaimie Talbot welcomed guests and visiting Rotarians to our Club meeting.
Gary Lunden announced that Club members are volunteering to staff the Salvation Army Kettles at Oak Bay Pharmasave over the month of December. Further information will be published soon. Helping out is a tradition in our club so please review the sign-up sheets and schedule a couple of hours each week to help others.
Joan Peggs discussed the Social Committee…
–Guess Who’s Coming for Dinner was a great success and enjoyed by all who participated.
Thank you to
- Lorna for organizing
- Hosts for hosting
- Participants for participating and having a great time
- Next one – Spring 2019 – Join in the Fun!
Our Club’s Christmas Luncheon will be held on 18 December at Oak Bay Beach Hotel. $23 if you sign up by 11 December 2018
$28 if you sign up after 11 December
- Let Joan know if you will be attending, she prefers if you pay by cheque
39th Annual Merrython Fun Run is on Sunday December 2nd at Henderson Recreation Centre – 9am -11am. Come out and volunteer for this great community event!
Ali Edgell Offered 3 to1 recognition points for donations to the Rotary Foundation. The Club is on track to meet its ambitious goals for this Rotary year.
New Member Induction.
Although Nils Jensen has been an Honorary Member for a number of years, during which he was the Mayor of Oak Bay, he was inducted into the Rotary club as an active member by Joan Firkins… Welcome Nils! Tom Croft is to be Nils’ mentor.
Joan Firkins, as always, gave a great Rotary welcome and overview of Rotary’s ways… remember Service Above Self, Be the Inspiration, and check out our website.
Lynnie was today’s Celebration Master/Mistress.
Happy Birthday Art!
Tom thanked everyone who sent kind words, support, thoughts, these are more meaningful than you realize.
50/50 was won by Lynnie…coincidence? She did not pick the special marble.
Peter had to leave the meeting early because he is moving and had to help with sorting through and moving boxes. Tav took over as Chair of the meeting.
Tav: Verbally announced that the Notice of the Annual General Meeting has been circulated to all by email. It will be held on the 11 December 2018 at Oak Bay Beach Hotel. Everyone is encouraged to make a special effort to attend.
Tav then introduced our guest speaker, Chad McGillvary of GetMyKit.ca
- emergency preparedness kits in over 500 retailers in Canada
- become prepared be self-sufficient for minimum of 7 days not just the first 72 hours
- There are many different types of emergencies that we need to be prepared for.
- Have a preparedness plan including a meeting spot and a person from afar who will not be affected by the disaster to act as coordinator for those in the disaster area.
- Know your neighbors.
- Make sure your gas tank is always ½ full.
- Handouts: Self-Evaluation of Personal Preparedness and Preparedness Plan
- Emergency Kits for Sale at meeting or online.
Vicky Pitt formally thanked our guest speaker.
Tav adjourned the meeting.